Sunday, July 18, 2004

I only seem to say goodbye in Dublin

I know I haven't written in over a week. I've had so much on my mind that I've wanted to post, but I'm in a temp job right now that's pretty demanding and I don't get to the net cafe as much as I would like. I was all set to write about Irish "customer service" - an oxymoron if I've ever heard one, but then something happened - I had to say good bye to a friend.

This friend is a Canadian man that I met over here. No, I know what you're thinking, but we're just friends. He is moving over to India tomorrow morning for a job that will last until around April. He'll be back in Ireland for a visit around Christmas - probably around the time that I return to Canada for a visit. He's the kind of guy who wants to go out all the time and always has something on the go. The kind of guy, who when he calls you for the third time that week, you somewhat sigh and say "YES, I'll see you Saturday, ok?". So today when I met up with him after a thoroughly frustrating shopping trip in city centre, I didn't clue in that it would be the last time I would see him for months. He's the kind of guy who you could always rely on for a night out, no matter what, which in Ireland, believe it or not, is hard to find. We said good bye a few hours ago at the Ha'pennny bridge; we gave each other a quick hug and parted. It wasn't until I was over the bridge that it hit me: I just said good bye to one of my only friends here and I don't know what I'm going to do with myself on the weekends. I'm really going to miss him.

No comments: