Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Back in the workforce and into the sun

After six months of looking hard (and not so hard), I finally got a job. I got a six-month contract in the corporate communications department of an American Multinational Computer Company - not to be confused with the utterly dysfunctional one I was previously temping at and have previously written about. For being tight competitors, these two companies are complete opposites in work environment to one another. The dysfunctional company called me for an interview in their communications department and the interview was scheduled on the same day that I got the job offer at the other one. It felt so good to call up dysfunctional company and say, "sorry I can't attend the interview, I just received a job offer and I'm going to accept it. Oh where do you ask? At your biggest competitor. "

I was afraid that I had spoken too soon, however. Right after I received the verbal job offer, I was informed that it wasn't 100%, they had to pass it through HR, but it shouldn't be a problem. Well, it was a problem. Apparently, they broke a couple of HR laws, namely, they didn't advertise the job internally or externally or interview anyone else. It just so happened that I was temping there for a couple of weeks, they really liked me, and knowing that one of the girls was leaving in September, they offered me the job. It was agony waiting to find out the verdict as I really wanted this job. I know that I'm not very good at interviews and I had been on more than my fair share over the past six months. The thought of having to still play the job search game when I thought it was over was really discouraging. Not only that, but the thought of losing a job because of HR bureaucracy was just too much. I was afraid my two would-be bosses wouldn't fight for me and just leave it, or go through the proper channels while "keeping me in mind". I had pretty much decided that if it fell through I was going to really take stock about being over here as it didn't seem to be working out. I was stressing for nothing however because I got the job yesterday! Woo-hoo! It seems as though things are finally starting to work out for me here. This job could be a very good experience for me and it's a huge weight off my shoulders.

To celebrate, and get out of the rain, I'm going to Portugal for a week as of Thursday. I doubt I'll post while there, but I promise a travel report when I return. I've been dying for a summer, and I think this is the only way I'm going to get it. This past July was the wettest in British history and parts of Germany even saw some snow. It wasn't the wettest July in Irish history, but I imagine that it was right up there. It has to be truly dismal to beat an Irish rainfall record, and I think we did have one or two dry days in the past month. To give you an idea of just how cold it has been this past month, I was wearing the shell of my Columbia ski jacket while hiking this past weekend. I spent the whole day today going through the few summer clothes I brought over with me and I've packed them already. I can't wait.

No comments: